WHAT DOES ZESA MEAN?

Zesa means ‘Survivor’ in Sanskrit.

WHO DOES ZESA BENEFIT?

Zesa empowers victims of human trafficking across India by providing them with education and means to financially support themselves, and successfully re-integrate into society.

WHAT IS ZESA'S IMPACT?

In 2014, Zesa educated over 1000 survivors of trafficking. In 2015, Zesa aims to impact 2000 more survivors in India's anti-trafficking shelters and high-risk trafficking regions.

WHAT IS HUMAN TRAFFICKING?

The United Nations defines trafficking as “any activity leading to recruitment, transportation, harboring or receipt of persons, by means of threat or use of force or a position of vulnerability”.

WHICH COUNTRIES ARE IMPACTED BY HUMAN TRAFFICKING?

Human trafficking affects every country, as countries of origin, transit, or destination–or even a combination of all. Trafficking often occurs from less developed countries to more developed countries, where people rendered vulnerable to trafficking by virtue of poverty, conflict, or other conditions. Most trafficking is national or regional, but there are also notable cases of long-distance trafficking. Europe is the destination for victims from the widest range of destinations, while victims from Asia are trafficked to the widest range of destinations. The Americas are prominent both as the origin and destination of victims of human trafficking.

In India alone, approximately 1.2 million girls are exploited for human trafficking. The country is now considered a hub for sex trafficking, due to its unique position as a source, transit, and destination country.

WHICH DEMOGRAPHICS ARE IMPACTED BY HUMAN TRAFFICKING?

People of every age, race, and country of origin are affected by human trafficking. Estimates place the number of trafficking victims as high as 21 million men, women, and children, although many cases of trafficking go unreported. Women and girls are particularly vulnerable to sex trafficking, especially those from less developed and impoverished countries.

In developing nations, girls between the ages of 6-14 are the primary victims of trafficking. Poverty is one of the primary drivers of human trafficking; the majority of children sold from low-income communities, where the promise of money (as little as $24) is enough to sell their daughters to the highest bidder.

WHAT IS HUMAN TRAFFICKING?

Each purchase at Zesa directly helps survivors of human trafficking. 100% of these profits go towards helping our girls build a new beginning–60% go directly back into the hands of our girls through our Giveback Program, which funds their living expenses, wages, and individual savings accounts. The remaining 40% is reinvested to fund new shelters and grow our efforts.